living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strike! - motivation to persevere


Charles Spurgeon in Morning and Evening for July 17th wrote about battling sin. The week I read this, it resonated as life to my soul, and it still does.
Our darling sin must die. Spare it not for its much crying. Strike, though it be as dear as an Isaac. Strike, for God struck at sin when it was laid upon his own Son. With stern unflinching purpose must you condemn to death that sin which was once the idol of your heart. Do you ask how you are to accomplish this? Jesus will be your power. You have grace to overcome sin given you in the covenant of grace; you have strength to win the victory in the crusade against inward lusts, because Christ Jesus has promised to be with you even unto the end. If you would triumph over darkness, set yourself in the presence of the Sun of Righteousness. There is no place so well adapted for the discovery of sin, and the recovery from its power and guilt, as the immediate presence of God.  
The connections he makes are so powerful. Strong absolute truths of God, all connected. So centered on the cross and glory of God. So hope filled. Grace will triumph over sin. Good versus evil will prevail. The presence of God is both the goal and the way. Our fight against sin is not hopeless, not with Christ on our side. It is a worthy battle. I should not shirk it off. Why strike at sin? Because "God struck at sin when it was laid upon his own Son." How can I, a feeble wretched sinner, strike at my sin that so easily entangles me? Only by the power of Christ, which is mine because the Father "struck at sin when it was laid upon his own Son." Where do I go when I go to battle my sin? Under the shelter of His wing, in the presence of the most Holy One.

I want to know more of my God, and I want to kill more of my sin. I want others to help me. I want to help others. We are instruments in our Redeemer's hands for each others' sanctification, and we are in this together. But the only one worth having on our side is our God - and he is absolutely, irrevocably, eternally, comprehensively "for us!" His glory is at the center of his passion, and he will not be mocked. He has bought us and tied us permanently to himself. He is for us, and he has the victory.

If I have my eyes set on the goal, set on Christ, then I am equipped to strike sin.

John Piper, at New Attitude 2008:
Jesus himself, and all that God is for us in him, is our great reward, nothing less. Salvation is not mainly the forgiveness of sins, but mainly the fellowship with Jesus. Forgiveness just gets everything out of the way so this can happen.
There is purpose in this life. Depression speaks a dark and gloomy lie contrary to the brilliance of the light of truth. My purpose, my vision, is Christ. I am made for him. And I am called to spend this life preparing for eternity with him. That means putting to death sin and growing in my love for my Savior, all to the glory of God by his power and might. God will receive all the credit for every good thing. And he will be glorified in the suffering and perseverance of his saints. We are in this together, and he is "for us."

"I believe; help my unbelief!" - Mark 9:24

photo: July 7, 2007 - Hamburg, Germany (Vinson's hand)

No comments:

Post a Comment