living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Sunday, September 26, 2010

the beauty of old age

I thank God for the example I have in my grandparents. I am blessed not only that they are around and involved in my life, but even more by the example they set for me in so many ways. In particular, I have been recently struck by the grace of God I see in old age. His faithfulness shines forth. I'd strongly encourage others to seek out an older saint, no only the ones who are just a few steps ahead of you in years or life seasons, but those who really are near the ending years of their lives.

I am in awe of the work God is doing in my grandparents, my grandpa Landis in particular, as they increasingly experience more limitations and the reality of a deteriorating body. I see my own limitations and struggles, and then I look to see what my grandpa has daily in front of him. I am built in my faith to see that God uses old age not to foster a bitter, resentful, or complaining spirit, but that He instead is faithful to work into him a content dependance on God. I do not know my grandpa as a grumpy, bitter old man, but as one who has a steady persevering spirit (and an incredible sense of humor!). Sure it's hard. My grandpa was blessed with many many years of a healthy body and all-around-fix-it man abilities. He helped and served others in multiple ways. Now his productivity has been significantly hampered. And what a difficult transition that is, to have a heart and desire to do the things you once did but no longer be able to do them. It is different from the struggle to be content with things that have not yet come into your life. This is harder in many ways because you HAVE experienced much and know what you are missing. What gets you through and upholds you then, when you're near the end of life? Well, if you are like my grandparents and have known Jesus Christ as your Savior, old age is a revealing test that your life has been built upon the Unchanging Rock. When it is built on a relationship with God, that cannot be taken from you in your old age. The refining fire of old age, like other trials in life, is a servant of God used to fashion us into the image of his Son and draw our hearts to love him more. Fire may burn, but it refines into beautiful gold. The tugging, stretching, molding, hammering, burning, pruning, chiseling, and hard work of sanctification in this life is creating in us a beauty like Christ's, and will all be completely worth it when we get to see him in glory!
Be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?" - Hebrews 13:5-6
The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed by the name of the Lord. - Job 1:21
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light and momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
photo: my 23rd birthday; Feb. 2010

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Many good thoughts, Sarah, as usual. You have a great family - immediate and extended. - Gina

    ReplyDelete