living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Sunday, August 22, 2010

glories of plodding

I love Crossway Church. Below is a photo my dad took at the baptism this afternoon. Because of the weather we were in the stuffy and humid barn, but at least it emphasized a sense of unity and made for a good picture! Baptisms often seem to surprise me with how meaningful they are. I was impacted particularly with several "kids" (teens) being baptized that I've known for their whole lives. Our families have grown up together, and I still often think of them as 6 year olds running around and making lots of noise. It's wonderfully encouraging to see and hear of what God has done and is doing in their hearts and lives.

Then this evening I spent some time with a large group of young adults from church who came over to our place. I love these people. I love how they are engaging transition and are supporting one another through prayer and fellowship. Young Adults/Sola feels like it keeps getting younger and younger (to me!), but the reality is that young people are maturing in Christ. And that is wonderful to witness.

Events like these remind me of the worth of being rooted in one place and living life together with (relatively) the same people for years and years. We are building and growing together in Christ for the long haul. As I step into another week, I thank God for a bit of refreshment in my local church, and I ask him for the grace I need to be a plodding visionary in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment