living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Biblical Understanding of Leisure, pt 3

Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
Point Three: The purposeful pursuit of leisure
  • Be intentional in your use of leisure time.
  • Evaluate your present leisure pursuits. It's easy to let leisure escape the Biblical scrutiny we apply to other areas of our lives. Evaluate:
    • Our time
      • Given my responsibilities, am I spending too much time pursuing leisure?
      • Am I spending too little time pursuing God-given leisure?
    • The activities and their effects (this will look different in different season of life)
      • Am I refreshed by this activity? (this will vary from person to person; don't judge others by what is effective for you.)
      • Am I more ready to resume my labors having done this activity?
      • Can I do this activity with a clear conscience?
      • Does this activity unduly isolate me from my family and friends?
      • Does this activity increase my awareness of or gratitude to God?
    • Our motive - Am I pursuing leisure for Godly purposes?
Conclusion:
Keep a transcendent perspective of your leisure. Let your view of leisure be "over the sun," and not merely "under the sun." Leisure and pleasure are not our goals. They are not ends in themselves. They are meant to point to something (Matthew 11:28-30).
Labor is hard and wearisome because we are sinful. God gives us leisure to point our eyes above, to Him and the peace in Christ. I have physical rest because I have spiritual rest. Let your pursuit of rest here point your eyes to the ultimate rest you will have when the Kingdom is consummated. The restless soul is an unforgiven soul, but a soul that receives forgiveness receives rest.
Let our leisure be a reminder of the forgiveness and rest for our souls that Christ has accomplished on the cross.
photo: Joy, by the Conestoga River, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment