living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Self-analysis

I just listened to a message that Steve recommended to me today by David Powlison called In the Last Analysis.
Biblical self-knowledge, however, is not an end in itself. Self-knowledge is only a doorway to grace and obedience. In this message for pastors and leaders, David Powlison warns of the dangers of excessive introspection and shows how Scripture turns our attention away from ourselves toward God (from Sovereign Grace's description of the message).
I listened to it while doing nothing else, whereas I'd usually multitask. I so easily analyze (or over analyze) everything. This is nothing new I'm learning about myself either, although it's being drawn out again and in new ways this past year. I need to see self-analysis as "a doorway to God's revelation of grace leading to intelligent action" rather than as "leading to a paralysis of faith and love." Powlison uses a Robert Murray M'Cheyne quote that is really helpful to be reminded of - "For every one look at your sins, take ten looks at Christ." The whole message was great. I'm sure I'll be re-listening, and I'd recommend it to others.
"but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more" - Romans 5:20
photo: Joy in Potter County, PA 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment