living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Saturday, August 7, 2010

vacation


Ever struggle to trust God because you are going on vacation for a week? yeah, me too. This coming week is the first time I'll be away from the office for that long since I started working over a year ago. And yesterday it was a particular struggle to not be anxious about all the things left undone and all the potential build up that will happen while I am gone. I think it uncovers a reality that I do not completely trust God in my work when I am doing it. So it is good to step back and see that my work really is not about me and my efforts, but God. He will handle things when I'm gone and be my strength and helper when I return, no matter how overwhelming a flooded email inbox or office bin is. This life is all about my Lord, and vacation can be a good reminder of that.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. - Colossians 1:15-20.
I am looking forward to enjoying this week and praising God for his many blessings. I get to celebrate the wedding of two good friends today, which my brother is in; sit under God's Word, worship, fellowship at a picnic, and just enjoy my church family tomorrow; and soak in some long awaited time focused on my family for an entire week. "Indeed, for such blessings He should be adored and honored supremely as eminent Lord" (Milton Vincent; A Gospel Primer).
photo: Vernazza, Italy 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment