living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vision for Plodding


Someone asked me today if there is anything new or exciting going on in my life recently. Hmmm, not really. I'm just plodding along indefinitely.
Well, what is exciting to me? What am I looking forward to? Paradoxical and practical as it may be, I look forward to more of the same old same old...but to being renewed in my joy and zeal for the things God has called me to in my days. I want to not just be a plodder, even a faithful one. No, I want to be a plodding visionary. Another way to say it is that I don't just want to obey God, but I want to enjoy and desire more of Him in the moments of my days.
The vision is what fuels the plodding. Which word sounds more exciting, "plodding" or "visionary?" I suggest the latter, but they come as a package. Do I find myself to be simply a plodder without a vision? How do I know when that is the case? It's probably when I check my pulse and find discontentment, weariness, selfishness, boredom, complaining, etc.
So, how do I become envisioned? I can be spurred on in my plodding by many different visions, but there is just one vision that I want to catch and keep. It is the vision of Christ. Christ as my goal for eternity and Christ as my joy in this moment.
I want to make God my study and delight, and in so doing all the other little (or big) things will fall into place and serve to glorify God and deepen my enjoyment of him. Then guess what? Without thinking about it, look at that, life is fresh and exciting!

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'ns Son!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

And how blessed am I that I get to (and indeed need to) live out a vision for Christ as part of his church. Check out Kevin DeYoung's message from Next 2010 on the church, and be refreshed in your role as a plodding visionary.

photo: part of the Italian Alps, 2007

2 comments:

  1. I was happy to see you say, "Then guess what? Without thinking about it, look at that, life is fresh and exciting!" I loved Kevin's message. It gave a real sense of joy and purpose to following God in the supposed mediocrity of life. You end up looking at living for God for what it is, which is incredibly exciting. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, It is so wonderful having a granddaughter who is so faithfully serving Christ and His church. I remember your talking about this idea when you came back from Next, and I am gratified that in the midst of life's inevitable routine, bordering on boredom, you are still choosing to be caught up with this vision.
    Love and prayers,
    Granddaddy Sensenig

    ReplyDelete