living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Friday, December 3, 2010

Behold Christ


Warren Boettcher spoke at our church this past Sunday. I listened to his sermon (The Fruit of Justification) again this week and quote him below. I'm so glad God keeps reminding me of this in fresh ways, and I know he will be faithful to continue to strengthen my faith by drawing my gaze up to him.
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. - 2 Corinthians 3:18
How do we grow now?...We talk about mortification of sin: there are things we need to die to, that need to be put to death, absolutely. And then there are things we need to put on, right. We put off things of the flesh; we put on things of the Spirit. So there are these "put offs" and "put ons" that we do.
Here's a key way that you grow beyond the "put ons" and "put offs:" look at Him! Behold his glory! Be enamored by him. Don't be so down in the trenches of "I've got to stop sinning here. How do I kill this sin in my life? Oh, and I've got to be good over here. How do I put these things in my life, and if I can only kill this and put on this I'd be good." And meanwhile, I'm just looking down here. Look up! Look up! You want to grow in sanctification? Study Christ! Look at his face. When we behold him, we're going to change from one degree of glory to another.
Where do you go when you sin? And when you seek to change? Do you go to the throne of grace? Is that your comfort and your confidence? Or do you look to self-atonement and self-improvement? "If I can just pay a little bit for my sin, it'll get a little bit better." Self-atonement = if I feel bad. Self-improvement = if I do good. Or do I go to the throne of grace? Where am I going when I want to grow and change? Who am I looking at? Myself? Or am I beholding Him?

All the labors of my hands
Could not meet Thy law's demands
Could my zeal no respite know
Could my tears forever flow
All for sin could not atone
Thou must save, and Thou alone

photo: Lübeck, Germany 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment