living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Do You Trust Me, My Child?


In his book Heaven, Randy Alcorn addresses the question, "Will we be reunited with infants who have died?" He thinks most likely the answer is yes, and on page 356 he says (emphases added):
Perhaps in Heaven many people will meet their children who were aborted or their children who died in miscarriages (even some miscarriages their mothers weren't aware of). Many parents will be reunited with children who died at an early age. Perhaps these children will grab our hands and show us around the present Heaven. Then one day, after the final resurrection, we'll enjoy each other's company on the New Earth - and experience its wonders together.
If children do go to Heaven when they die, why doesn't God tell us that directly? It may be that he anticipates the twisted logic and rationalization it might foster in us. It might take from us the sense of urgency to see our children come to faith in Christ. It might cause us to be less concerned about the sacred God-given task of extending physical and financial help to the underprivileged and getting the gospel to children around the world. We must do what God has called us to do, which includes protecting, rescuing, feeding, evangelizing, and discipling children.
Whatever God's reasons may be, I have struggled with not knowing the answer to this question beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have not forgotten about the brother or sister I never had the chance to meet, often remembering in tears and sometimes wondering what our family would be like had he lived.
Why is this something that God would leave as a mystery to us? Why would he not lay it out plain and simple, so that we might be confidently comforted or at least know the difficult truth? I don't know. I do know he is good, and his holiness and glory matter most. He will use whatever he wills to strengthen my faith in him, even if it hurts. He would that I love him even if I am stripped of all others and every good thing. When questions are unanswered, doubts remain, or fears for the future threaten to crowd in my heart, I hear my Savior say, "Do you trust me? I love you dear child. Trust me. I am enough for you." And I find that he is more than enough.

O God of love, I come to you again
Knowing I'll find mercy
I can't explain all the things I see
But I'll trust in you
In every moment you are there
Watching over, you hear my prayer
You go before me
You're behind me
Nothing's hidden from you

O God of strength, your hand is on my life
Bringing peace to me
You know my frame, you know how I am made
You planned all my days
Hand of mercy, hand of love
Giving power to overcome
If all beneath me falls away
I know that you are God

How good it is to be loved by you
How good it is
How good it is to be loved by you
How good it is

c. 2000 Kingsway's Thankyou Music

photo: May 27, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment