living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thankful in the Little Things


Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is around the corner. If the Thanksgiving holiday were a person, I think I might feel sorry for him. He is quickly forgotten in the shadow of Christmas, sometimes even before his big day and most definitely as soon as Thursday is gone and the clock strikes midnight to usher in Friday with all it's shopping glory. Thanksgiving has become more of a reminder or notification that Christmas is almost here. But in reality, what a great honor Thanksgiving has in preparing our hearts for Christmas. It's only right that he would be overshadowed by the day we remember that Christ was born. Why not let Thanksgiving herald in the Christmas season and heed his proclamation to be intentional in cultivating a thankful heart? Afterall, the only way I can be thankful is because God sent his Son into the world to be my Savior.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil - this is God's gift to man. - Ecclesiastes 3:11-13

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things


So, in seeking to learn from the Sound of Music, Thanksgiving and not to mention God's Word, I want to make a practice of recounting God's blessings on my days, especially in the little things.
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. - Colossians 3:17
photo: December 5, 2009 (Exactly one year ago! Little detail that I delight in :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment