living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Thursday, September 23, 2010

truth, emotion, and relationship


My Savior My God

My Savior loves, My Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God: He was, my God; He is
My God is always gonna be

Those chorus lyrics brought tears to my eyes while driving yesterday evening, which is not difficult to do these days (or multiple times a day). My last post served me well to re-read during this week. I'm finding it to be so evident that truth and emotion struggle to find their places in me. My heart is prone to wander, and God is so faithful to bring truth to bear in my spirit and realign me, gently or bluntly.

I just read an article by Ed Welsh called Strong Emotions; Extreme Confidence. And his last paragraphs are particularly helpful:
Okay, slow down. I am a creature, not the creator. I am part of a larger body and I need the larger body. I don't have all wisdom and knowledge in myself. When there is a difference of opinion between my feelings and what God says, God's word wins. I gladly submit to him. When there is a difference of opinion between my feelings and what many wise counselors have said to me, I submit to the wisdom of the community.

Yes, this is all true, and it sounds good on paper. But right now my emotions are not raging in any particular direction. The good news is that I can practice humility today. I can listen to God - really listen. I can consider the interests of others as more important than my own. That will prepare me for the times when my strong feelings don't tell me the whole story.
speaking of blunt (a bit earlier), here's a blunt transition...

I love relating with people. I love doing this daily and weekly. I operate better around people. My mind thrives when engaged together with another mind, and tends to stagnate when isolated to turn it's own wheels. I struggle with and sometimes am smothered by the monotony and loneliness that daily life can sometime be. But that really is a good portion of what my life is and probably often will be. And God uses this to grow my awareness of my dependance on him for every relational need - practical, complex, spiritual, mental, physical, emotional, and on and on. He uses this to reveal himself as all sufficient.

Who am I that he should reveal himself and his truth to me, as well as allow me to partake in his work (in others or even in myself)? This is humbling and awe producing work He is about - work that springs forth the praise of his glory, and his alone.


P.S. HAPPY 13TH BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER MARGARET! I love you dear. :)

photo: Jared & Rebekah's wedding, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment