living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Little Women


I picked up an old novel again yesterday evening, and found great sweetness:
I gave my best to the country I love, and kept my tears till he was gone. Why should I complain when we both have merely done our duty and will surely be the happier for it in the end? If I don't seem to need help, it is because I have a better Friend even than Father to comfort and sustain me. My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother." 
Jo's only answer was to hold her mother close, and in the silence which followed, the sincerest prayer she had ever prayed left her heart without words, for in that sad yet happy hour she had learned not only the bitterness of remorse and despair, but the sweetness of self-denial and self-control; and, led by her mother's hand, she had drawn nearer to the Friend who welcomes every child with a love stronger than that of any father, tenderer than that of any mother.
- Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, pages 67-68
I started to highlight segments of this text above but then realized I would be italicizing almost everything.

photo: Joy's yarn - December 27, 2010

1 comment:

  1. Nice find in Little Women! Sad the modern movies drop the God fearing part of their lives.--Mom

    ReplyDelete