living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

For Us


C.H. Spurgeon, Evening July 18th:
"When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me." - Psalms 56:9
It is impossible for any human speech to express the full meaning of this delightful phrase, "God is for me." He was "for us" before the worlds were made; he was "for us," or he would not have given his well-beloved son; he was "for us" when he smote the Only-begotten, and laid the full weight of his wrath upon him - he was "for us," though he was against him; he was "for us," when we were ruined in the fall - he loved us notwithstanding all; he was "for us," when we were rebels against him, and with a high hand were bidding him defiance; he was "for us," or he would not have brought us humbly to seek his face. He has been "for us" in many struggles; we have been summoned to encounter hosts of dangers; we have been assailed by temptations from without and within - how could we have remained unharmed to this hour if he had not been "for us"? He is "for us," with all the infinity of his being; with all the omnipotence of his love; with all the infallibility of his wisdom; arrayed in all his divine attributes, he is "for us," - eternally and immutably "for us"; "for us" when yon blue skies shall be rolled up like a worn out vesture; "for us" throughout eternity. And because he is "for us," the voice of prayer will always ensure his help. "When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies be turned back." This is no uncertain hope, but a well grounded assurance - "this I know." I will direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up for the answer, assured that it will come, and that mine enemies shall be defeated, "for God is for me." O believer, how happy art thou with the King of kings on thy side! How safe with such a Protector! How sure thy cause pleaded by such an Advocate! If God be for thee, who can be against thee?
Jesus is my Protector and my Advocate. It is true. He loves me greatly. Only because of this am I able to live and love.

Knowing that the almighty and loving God is for me should give me great comfort and security. And knowing he is for us should compel me by example and empower me by the grace purchased at the cross to also be "for you," my dear brother or sister. Because his great love has been and continues to be for me, my faith should be strong and my love for another should likewise mirror his unconditional, sacrificial, and self-denying love.

Oh that God would open my eyes to see more of how he is for me and for his dear church. And oh that he would give me a persevering love for others in my life that I might boldly be "for them"in my heart, mind, and actions - past, present, and future. He calls me to love, because he first loved me. This requires laying myself aside continually.
But I will never come close to tasting what it would be like to pour myself out in the excruciating way that my dear Christ Jesus did for me.
Behold and see, was there ever sorrow like unto his sorrow that is done unto him? All ye that pass by draw near and look upon this spectacle of grief, unique, unparalleled, a wonder to men and angels, a prodigy unmatched. Behold the Emperor of Woe who had no equal or rival in his agonies! Gaze upon him, ye mourners, for if there be not consolation in a crucified Christ there is no joy in earth or heaven. If in the ransom price of his blood there be not hope, ye harps of heaven, there is no joy in you, and the right hand of God shall know no pleasures for evermore. We have only to sit more continually at the cross foot to be less troubled with our doubts and woes. We have but to see his sorrows, and our sorrows we shall be ashamed to mention. We have but to gaze into his wounds and heal our own (Spurgeon, Morning & Evening, July 22).
Nothing I can know can compare to what Jesus knew on the cross - I will never know the same depth of pain nor height of love. But may I count it all joy whenever I am privileged to reflect, even the most dimly, some of this sweet gospel in my life.

My heart is not there day by day, but dear Lord grant sight to my blind heart and perseverance. "Draw me deeper into the glories of Calvary."

"I believe; help my unbelief!" - Mark 9:24

photo: church farm - November 7, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment