living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Saturday, July 3, 2010

gain the world and lose your soul

The Creation Festival, east or west, is a very unique experience. I've been going since I was a 4-month old baby, and each year is different, yet similar.
Vinson and I went yesterday evening and came home with Joy early this afternoon. We watched TobyMac's performance Friday night and went on stage for the candle lighting. As we were driving to Creation, we were talking about TobyMac. His music is not the kind I listen to often, but he is an artist that I really respect. He also is a great live entertainer (I love that I got to grow up following DC Talk and Newsboys through Creation). Vinson commented that Toby is a normal Christian, somebody that you might have in your church, but he stands out as being such a strong Christian because that type of faith is sadly not the norm for the "Christian" music industry. One thing I respect about Toby is how he seems to fight to hold the gospel in his own life and speaks the truth of the gospel at least briefly in his shows between songs - making references to how we have received what we do not deserve, like he did last night. And in the few short interactions or observations I've had with him at Creations over the years, he seems to carry himself humbly and genuinely before others. It is such a strong temptation for those in the music and entertainment industry to become man and self-centered rather than God centered. Self-promotion is a poison that can stealthily and subtly consume you from multiple angles. I feel and see that pull each time I am at a Creation festival, and it can be intense.
I am thankful that God can and does use Creation to proclaim his gospel, even if there are ample opportunities for it to also feed the flesh and water down the gospel. The good news that Christ died for our sins and took the wrath of God that was justly ours so that we can live at peace with God and know him as our Father, that is an unstoppable gospel.

Toby performed "Lose My Soul" last night. Use google to find the rest of the lyrics if you like. I couldn't find a good link for you. but here is his music video for it.
Father God, I am clay in your hands,
Help me to stay that way through all life's demands,
'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me,
And every little thing I make up my mind to be,
Like I'm gonna be a daddy whose in the mix,
And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit,
And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above,
The road that is wide and filled with self love,
Everything that I see draws me,
Though it's only in You that I can truly see that its a feast for the eyes - a low blow to purpose.
And I'm a little kid at a three-ring circus.
I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
(Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.)
I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
(Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.)...

Mark 8:34-38:
And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (Jim Elliot)
photo: Creation West, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment