living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

casting cares

My mom encouraged me to write down the following thoughts, which I briefly shared with her yesterday. So I made use of my journal, and now I'm making use of my blog. I like this progression. I trimmed down/edited my journal entry to share here.

God has pointed out to me in the past, and present, how I can try to take upon myself others' burdens and be their "savior." I must not do this. I need to deflect and cast their cares unto God, and not walk around weighed down by everyone's difficulties. That is not true care and compassion. True care and compassion is pointing them to their Savior and then trusting that He will work in them, not being anxious for them.

Here is a connection that has become more clear recently:
Not only should I not take others' burdens on myself, but I should not put my own burdens on myself either, especially those areas that I can do nothing about. They belong to no one but God. God has called me to steward well my time, finances, relationships, etc.. He calls me to this because they are not my own, but his. I am not my own, but his. There is responsibility in that; I cannot use anything to gratify the desires of my flesh. But there is much freedom in that, because won't God take care of his own? Yes! Absolutely. How freeing.
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6:30

photo: Burano, Italy (near Venice) 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment