living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Monday, April 26, 2010

unbelief

Saturday night God allowed me to encounter two women in a very unexpected and faith-building way. I was able to connect with a girl I went to high school with and another girl I had never met from Alabama, and we had some really meaningful biblical fellowship, sharing our testimonies and praying for one another. The one girl is looking for a church, and I was able to invite her to Crossway. I left that night with my heart full of praise for and awe of God.

Sunday morning my heart was in a very different place. I did not realize it, but my heart had gone quickly from a place of faith to unbelief. I was heavy laden with concerns for others. I was in unbelief for God to continue to do powerful gospel work. I think I was assuming that because He has already done so much amazing heart work, the probability of a good thing continuing must be low, which is such ridiculous "logic of unbelief!" Rather, I should have faith that looks up and back to see where He has been faithful, and that should fill me with expectation that He will continue to be.

God used Pete's sermon to help address something that was in my heart and flip me around to see things clearly, namely that Christ is powerful, loving, and sovereign and will not let go but continue to work in us. My unbelief was uncovered and God placed faith in me that He will work no matter if I can't see how He's going to do it. I can trust Him.

We are not meant to walk around "with the world on our shoulders." My heart can so quickly leave behind the peace that is available to me in the gospel and take on cares and concerns, which is unbelief. How glad I am that God gives me faith - faith that castes my care onto my Father and finds amazing peace and joy. I need this each and every day.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore. Psalm 131

photo: Lübeck, Germany 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment