living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Friday, March 18, 2011

False & True Hope

Psalm 33:16-17, 20-22
The king is not saved by his great army;
a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
The war horse is a false hope for salvation,
and by its great might it cannot rescue. . . .
Our soul waits for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
even as we hope in you.


I might not have a great army, great strength, or a war horse, but I certainly can be tempted to put my trust and hope in things besides God, or despair when I see that they cannot save me from a seemingly impossible sight. God may use instruments to bring about his purposes, but they are a hopeless substitute for my Lord. Nothing and no one is a match for my Lord. "For nothing will be impossible with God" (Luke 1:37).

There is both no hope outside of my God and no despair when you are under his loving and powerful arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment