living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Doing Good, as we have opportunity


I thought Kevin DeYoung's blog post today, Doing Good, But a Little Less Than Others, was very helpful. I don't follow or subscribe to him, but I happened upon it today and greatly benefitted.
When we get fired up about a particular good cause, good idea, or good read, we think everyone should be too. But isn't it ok, on some matters, that our conscience and convictions and capabilities lead us down different paths of passion?
This is especially tricky because some behaviors are commanded of everyone in Scripture, and yet are also considered special gifts for only some. We should all contribute to the needs of the saints (Rom 13:13), but some have the gift of generosity (v. 8). We should all serve (v. 11), but some will be particularly gifted in serving (v. 7). We won't all be as good or zealous about the same things. This is by divine design. Our gifts will differ according to the grace given us (v. 6).
...I'm always trying to figure out how I can possibly be obedient to all the Lord seems to want from us. At times it feels like God expects us to be 24-7 prayer warriors with a commitment to social justice and involvement in the pro-life cause and lead lengthly family devotions and mentor a young Christian and read five Christian books a month and work through Operation World and adopt a child from Africa. Have you ever thought, "Lord, I don't have enough hours in the day to be obedient to all that you expect from me?" If you have, something is wrong with the way you use your hours or with your sense of God's expectations.
...I don't have it all figured out. But here are a few thoughts that help.
1. Most importantly, any lasting obedience must grow out of the gospel. . . We read and give and go overseas and evangelize and feed the poor and adopt orphans and get up early to pray and mentor college students and write blogs because we have nothing to prove, nothing to earn, and nothing to do except glorify God in a million different ways and enjoy him forever.
2. At Lausanne 2010, John Piper told the audience (I'm paraphrasing), "We should care about suffering, especially eternal suffering." . . . He didn't want to say we should do something about all suffering. Because we can't do something about everything. But we can care....
3. We must allow for various callings and various gifts. . . .
4. Don't forget about the church. The work to be done in the world is Christ's work. And Christ works through his body, corporately in word and sacrament, individually in a million other areas of life. I can't do it all, but the church - both gathered and scattered, the church as institution and as organism - can do all that the head of the body expects her to do.
5. Lastly, we should pray. a)...short, immediate prayers... b)...general categories to your daily, weekly, or monthly prayer list

It's good to be reminded that while I am called to so many areas of obedience, God chooses to use the body and not simply the individual to work his purposes in this world. We each have different lives and different opportunities. I can see a lot. I can care a lot. I need not allow that to overwhelm me, but cause me to be thankful and amazed at the little part I am allowed to play, being thankful for my brothers and sisters and first and foremost amazed at my Savior, who did it all at Calvary.

No comments:

Post a Comment