living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Monday, June 20, 2011

Strength for the Weary

I could not go this life without God's word and without his church. My Father has given these to me, and sent his Spirit to be my comforter and strength. I cannot face one moment on my own, but God does not require that I do that.

This morning I read Psalm 77.

I said, "Let me remember my song in the night;
let me meditate in my heart."
Then my spirit made a diligent search:
"Will the Lord spurn forever,
and never again be favorable?
Has his steadfast love forever ceased?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?"

Then I said, "I will appeal to this,
to the years of the right hand of the Most High."

I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
I will ponder all your work,
and meditate on your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is great like our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
you have made known your might among the peoples.
You with your arm redeemed your people,
the children of Jacob and Joseph.

Psalm 77:6-15

I need to join the Psalmist in speaking truth to my heart, and pray I will not be lead by emotion but that emotion would follow behind the truth of God's word. "On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand."

Sunday Pete spoke on Ruth 4:1-8 (here). I have a determined and sacrificial Redeemer.
And I have a loving daddy, who held my hand and wrapped his arm around me for the entirety of the sermon on Father's day.

And what was the first song we sang during worship yesterday?

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord

Our God, You reign forever
Our Hope, our Strong Deliverer

You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint You won't grow weary

You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles
(c) Chris Tomlin

God's providential kindness and specific care sustain me. In weakness and sadness, how I need to cling to his promises: moment by moment. His mercy is new every morning. Great is his faithfulness. He will never leave me nor forsake me. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

He chose me. I can know that he loves and wants me, because he chose me, dying to get me and keep me forever.

Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. - Psalm 42:11

No comments:

Post a Comment