living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Monday, June 13, 2011

Trust in the LORD


Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 
In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
- Proverbs 3:5

These verses, which my mom had us kids memorize as little children, come to me when I most need them and bring sobbing tears as they push past the muck to dive into the core of my heart. Where would I be without the word of God hidden in my heart? I shudder to think.

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. - Hebrews 4:12

Pain. Why is trusting the Lord hard and painful? Trust must not be settling for a half hearted leaning on the Lord but lodging itself deeper into my heart, and in fact guarding against the alternative of real destructive, long lasting pain that comes from going my own way and leaning on my own understanding. Growing pains exist - they hurt. But without them, we would not grow. As a pre-teen, I do not understand or see any purpose or end of those stretching pains, but they do not last forever and I reap the results as just a few years go by and I become a woman instead of a little girl.

The Gardener prunes. The fire refines. And my Father gives good gifts to his children, never bad ones. And even in the midst of a prune, in the heat of the fire, I can know that the grace of God is enough. He is more than enough for me, and all joy and peace is made available to me, purchased by the blood of Christ, for each and every moment. Not only at the end of the race, but also in the midst of exhausting effort of the run. Not only when the gold is refined, but even as dross is burning off. Why? Because the end has already been sealed. I have already been bought and the victory has been won. I know which team I am on, and his team has already won. So I can run with joy, even through the fog. When I can't see a step ahead on the path, I will trust the one who does and who promises to lead me to the end - to the greatest victory celebration ever to be had. We cannot even conceive.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. - 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

God is too wise to be mistaken
God is too good to be unkind
So when you don't understand
When you don't see his plan
When you can't trace his hand
Trust his heart
-Babbie Mason

1 comment:

  1. So true Sarah, We have a good trust worthy savior who never leaves or forsakes us. What a comfort to know our lives are not our own but they were bought by His blood and we belong to him. We are not left to ourselves but are nurtured by His care. He knows best how to prune and water our souls. We can trust Him. Love ya- Mom

    ReplyDelete