living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Thursday, June 17, 2010

humility


I am enjoying youth camp being at the church property this week. Even if it completely takes over and invades the office, I am glad that I can be in the midst of it while having a "normal" day's work. What a blessing that God has given us this property to use in building up the parents and youth from our church and three of our sisters churches. (post and photos from today; photos from last year)

Here's another Mere Christianity quote. Remember, I'm using this blog to help me in my reading endeavors. So, sorry if you're getting sick of C.S. Lewis, but it's what I've been reading lately.
Do not imagine that if you meet a really humble man he will be what most people call 'humble' nowadays: he will not be a sort of greasy, smarmy person, who is always telling you that, of course, he is nobody. Probably all you will think about him is that he seemed a cheerful, intelligent chap who took a real interest in what you said to him. If you do dislike him it will be because you feel a little envious of anyone who seems to enjoy life so easily. He will not be thinking about humility: he will not be thinking about himself at all.
If anyone would like to acquire humility, I can, I think, tell him the first step. The first step is to realise that one is proud. And a biggish step, too. At least, nothing whatever can be done before it. If you think you are not conceited, it means you are very conceited indeed.
Taking interest in what others say, enjoying life so easily, not thinking about yourself at all - these all need to grow in my life. Pride needs to die and humility needs to blossom. What a beautiful picture Lewis paints of a humble man.

I shared with a friend tonight how I want to be like Beth Mellinger (wife to Ken Mellinger, pastor of Living Hope Church in Harrisburg). She was at youth camp, and I was reminded of how I want to be like her. Her whole countenance exudes peace; she carries herself in such a gracious unassuming manner; she always seems to be happy with whatever is in front of her and is in no hurry to find something better; she almost seems to forget herself and rest in a steadfast joy. Cynthia Haughery is much the same. That's what I want to be like when I grow up.
photo: Potter County, PA 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment