living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Monday, September 12, 2011

Let Go & Caste Myself On Grace


What allows me to let go and not be consumed with seeking my own good (someone's got do it afterall, right!)? How can I die to myself and have a tender heart of love and service to others, genuinely desiring their good over my own? How do I move from fear and self absorption to faith? What frees me to acknowledge my sin and repent; what gives me the desire to know grace and be gracious to others?

Only the work of God upon my dark heart.

Because God is for me and not against me, I can lay down the pursuit of self. Christ has already secured my ultimate good and is continually interceding on my behalf. I can leave my self interest behind, knowing that the almighty God has and is working for my good. He will take care of me. So I am free to forget about myself and simply look to him and to the interests of others.

I was reminded tonight of just one of the things I have opportunity to be thankful to God for. This year he has shown me new ways in which Crossway Church really is my family. Not until I walked through certain things could I see just how many extra brothers, uncles, sisters and aunts I truly have. And it's something special, to be counted as a joy and be thankful for, that brings out everything from protective older brother impulses to tender motherly understanding and affections.

God often uses his people to do his work and to reflect himself. Why should I ever feel I am alone? He is here, and he is for me. So let go of self striving and live in the freedom of his grace that releases you to walk in obedience, humility, and love. I cannot live in a gracious manner until I let go of self and throw myself entirely on the grace of God. There is no life to be found apart from it. By grace alone are my blind eyes opened so that I can see and treasure my Lord.

photo: L Howell at MU; 8/25/11

1 comment:

  1. Love the post!-- to die to self and live for Christ-- What a calling, what a Joy, what a Comfort!!!!! Give me more of Christ.
    Love you--Mom

    ReplyDelete