living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I Come by the Blood


Jerry Bridges, in The Discipline of Grace, page 54:
To live by the gospel, then, means that we firmly grasp the fact that Christ's life and death are ours by virtue of our union with Him. What He did, we did. This is the only sense in which we can understand Paul's bold statements in Romans 8: "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (verse 1); "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (verse 31); and "Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies" (verse 33). 
These statements by Paul are objective truths; that is, they are true whether we grasp them or not. So often, however, we find it difficult to believe them. Because of our frequent failures before God, we do feel under condemnation, we do not feel God is for us but rather must surely be against us, we do think He is bringing charges against us. At such times we must preach the gospel to ourselves. We must review what God has declared to be true about our justification in Christ. 

You are the perfect and righteous God 
Whose presence bears no sin
You bid me come to Your holy place 
How can I enter in
When Your presence bears no sin?
Through Him, who poured out HIs life for me
The atoning Lamb of God
Through Him, and His work alone
I boldly come

I come by the blood, I come by the cross
Where Your mercy flows
From hands pierced for me
For I dare not stand on my righteousness
My every hope rests on what Christ has done
And I come by the blood

You are the high and exalted King
The One the angels fear
So far above me in every way
Lord, how can I draw near
To the One the angels fear?
Through Him who laid down His life for me
And ascended to Your side
Through Him, through Jesus alone
I boldly come
(c) 1994 Sovereign Grace Worship

What a lavishingly kind God!

I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
for His eye is on the sparrow
and I know he watches me
ahh, ahh, ahhh...
Jesus is my portion
he sets me free!
(c) Page CXVI
stream this and other songs on their SoundCloud
This is a particularly pretty one. :)

photo: sky at Jeannette's outdoor wedding 9/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment