living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Monday, October 4, 2010

Sin and Salvation in Serving

Feelings of bitterness or resentment that arise in me in relation to serving are red flags that reveal something even deeper in my heart. Of course bitterness and resentment are sinful, but how can I see that and turn in repentance in the middle of the moments when I'm steeped in my sin? What is my flesh craving when I am not overflowing with joy at the opportunity to humbly and sacrificially serve yet again? My own glory. And nothing urges me to drop the pursuit of my own glory quite like when God replaces my selfish desires for personal glory with something far better: a longing for God's glory. Not only that, but he also gives me a perfect example of what this should look like in Christ.
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. - Philippians 2:5-8
I want to be someone who is saturated with thoughts of how great God is and live to know and exalt him more.
photo: fortress in Salzburg, Austria 2007

1 comment:

  1. Great, Sarah! I want that too.I think we are alike in sin and the desire to be like our master

    ReplyDelete