living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Identity


My identity is not found in anything other than Christ. God is my Father, and I belong to him. My roles and relationships do not define me, so when I struggle with them I can still be secure and unwavering in my faith. I am God's daughter. I belong to Him. And there is great comfort in that.

I need to own my identity in Christ and let my lesser associations fall into place far beneath. What will this look like? It looks like having peace in situations when I am misunderstood, because God understands me more than I understand myself - and still loves me despite my great sin! It looks like not being paralyzed with fear of man or seeking after an idol of approval. It looks like being faithful to what God is clearly calling me to in each moment, trusting him to enable me and trusting him for everything outside of the moment. It looks like forsaking anxiety by handing him my future, no matter if it holds more difficulty. It looks like embracing him as my treasure, delight, and ultimate center of everything. When I look to him and then see my identity as his child, I have hope for my circumstances and relationships. Why? Because I already have everything I need in Christ.

This realization that my identity is "child of God" makes me want to commune with him in prayer. When I have desires, it pleases him that I should bring them to him. When I see God as the loving Father that he is, I cannot help but want to talk with him and "bring him into my day." Even though he already knows everything, I delight to open my heart to him, and he delights in me!

What a sweet thing it is to be called a child of God!
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" - Romans 8:15
photo: Mya R. - May, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment