living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

which will proper


As you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.
In the morning sow your seed, and at evening withhold not your hand, for you do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good. - Ecclesiastes 1:5-6
My dad noticed something in these verses. They do not give an option of nothing prospering, only which (this or that) or both. That can be encouraging when you see nothing but failure and fatigue - no fruit, growth, progress, or prospering from your labors in life. But what's even more encouraging to me is that I do not "know the work of God who makes everything."
For my thoughts are not your thoughts; neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. - Isaiah 55:8.
I'm so glad my hope is outside of myself.
photo: fortress in Salzburg, Austria 2007

1 comment: