living today in light of that day

living today in light of that day

Monday, January 16, 2012

Who is like our Lord?


 The LORD is merciful and gracious,
  slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
 He will not always chide,
  nor will he keep his anger forever.
 He does not deal with us according to our sins,
  nor repay us according to our iniquities.
 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
  so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
 as far as the east is from the west,
  so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
(Psalm 103:8-12 ESV)

Who is like our Lord?


That was shared during our worship service yesterday. It is both convicting and comforting to know there is no one like our Lord. None compares to his mercifulness, graciousness, slowness to anger, and abudance of steadfast love. Because I am in Christ, I do not need to lead a fearful life, waiting to be crushed, pushed down, or stifled. No, his wrath has already been poured out on Christ. I need not fear that from him anymore. And if the fear of the Lord is greater in me than fear of man, if his greatness is greater than anything else in my mind and heart, I need not fear what man can do to me.

 So we can confidently say,
 “The Lord is my helper;
  I will not fear;
 what can man do to me?”
(Hebrews 13:6 ESV) 

God is not like man. Man is made in his image and made to reflect him, but none truly compares with the Father. None truly has steadfast love or has sacrificed as much to lead and love me as the Son. When his image bearers fail to shine forth his glorious image, ask "who is like our Lord?"
Do not, oh my soul, confine your God to the failures of man.

photo: shadows in the kitchen 9/20/08

1 comment: